Visitors 38
Modified 11-Apr-11
Created 11-Apr-11
28 photos

Members of the U. S. Lighthouse Society on their “Lighthouses of the Gulf Coast Tour" spent a beautiful, sunny and breezy afternoon at the St. Marks Lighthouse on Apalachee Bay. They heard the history and plans for the future from light keepers Andy Edel and Mike Wilson dressed in their uniforms. They toured the double keeper’s house and listened to tales of the different families who lived there since it was built in the 1831. The light has remained a sentinel for military, commercial, and recreational boaters for 180 years despite numerous hurricanes and the attacks during the Civil War. Keepers were no longer needed when the light was automated in 1960. The light from the Fresnel lens was extinguished in 2000 when the USCG installed a modern solar powered light.

In addition to the normal donations made to lighthouses on the tour, a portion of the proceeds from this tour will be donated to National Wildlife Federations’ Gulf Oil Spill Restoration Fund to support their efforts to safeguard wildlife affected by this tragedy.

Photos by Lou Kellenberger

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:North America
Subcategory Detail:United States of America
Keywords:Florida Lighthouse Assocaition, Lou Kellenberger Photgraphy, The Keepers Log, florida, florida panhandle, florida's forgotten coast, gulf coast, lighthouse, lighthouses, refuge, st. marks lighthouse, st. marks national wildlife refuge