Visitors 76
Modified 11-Jun-08
Created 6-Jun-08
38 photos

The St. Marks Lighthouse, on the coast south of Tallahassee, was vital to ships making their way in and out of the port of St. Marks. The Confederates removed the light from the tower to hinder the Union navy and maintained sentries here throughout the war. In March of 1865, General John Newton brought an expedition ashore here for an assault on St. Marks and, most believe, Tallahassee. He was turned back at the nearby Battle of Natural Bridge. Early in the war, the Confederates also constructed a battery adjacent to the lighthouse, but the guns were withdrawn and the works were later shelled and destroyed by Federal ships

Categories & Keywords
Category:
Subcategory:
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords: